Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Water Tips | Fire Tips | Biohazard Tips | Mold Tips
If your home or business suffers a water damage event there are many questions that are probably floating in your head, questions like,
“Is it safe to stay in the house?”
“What are the things I should do, what are the things I shouldn’t be doing?”
SERVPRO is the leading industry professional when it comes to water damage restoration services. That means, West Hills residential and commercial properties (including surrounding communities like Edgeworth, Coraopolis and Neville Township) can trust SERVPRO to remediate and restore your building back to normal.
Below are listed some tips that should be followed after a water damage event.
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (412) 299-5520
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.